This ring DIY is an amalgamation of two tutorials I spied on Pinterest – the main one is by Obsessively Stitching, whose excellent tutorial told me how to make a basic cupcake pin-cushion ring.
Against Obsessively Stitching‘s advice, I made my pin cushion using felt, rather than fleece, as it had to match Zoe’s needle-book (soz), but I must admit I was still happy with the end result.
To make a cupcake pin cushion ring, you will need:
- A4 sheet of felt (in two colours – 1 for base; 1 for frosting)
- A bottle cap (such as Cherry Coke or 7UP)
- Sewing thread (mine is Hobbycrafts Value Crafts range)
- Stuffing (e.g. soft toy filling – hi-loft polyester)
- Sharp scissors
- An elastic hair-band (You can get these from Boots, Tescos…)
- Red button (optional – for cherry)
- Dress pins
For the cupcake ‘frosting’, I cut around a tea-light candle jar about 3.5 inches in diameter (a bit bigger than Obsessively Stitching‘s recommendation). Next, I threaded around the edge of the circle, before tugging the ends to make it gather – it looks like a baby jelly fish until stuffed!